Our Old Building

rss logo hi res small

NEED FINANCE?

Roderick Storie Solicitors Finance offer a selection of over 30 reputable lenders for all your finance requirements

More information...

FIRST CONSULTATION - NO CHARGE FOR NEW CLIENTS

[Home] [Our Services] [Finance] [Contact] [Disclaimer] [Our Old Building] [Legal Links]

[Moses Family] [Windsor Court House] [About Windsor NSW]

rss building drawing

Roderick Storie Solicitors is now located at 290 Windsor Street, Richmond in the old CBC/NAB Bank building.

Our old building was at

62-64 George Street, Windsor NSW Australia

The building was originally known as 'Hawkesbury Stores' and the business within would have been the main grocery store for the Windsor district.  There have been many businesses operating within the building since the Moses family left, including a real estate agency, chinese restaurant, collectables market, gallery and gift store.

It is now the home of Roderick Storie Solicitors, who are lovingly restoring the building to some of it's former glory.and have repainted it in Heritage colours.

It is believed the building is circa 1830, as it has many of the same features and fittings as the Windsor Court House, which was built in 1821-22, however an exact date of construction is yet to be discovered.

The following information has been excerpted from a book 'Hawkesbury Journey' written by the late DG Bowd, who devoted his life to ensuring that the history of the Hawkesbury is preserved for all time...

"Across Bridge Street from the former School of arts building" (now Blake's Music Centre), "is a small cottage with a high pitched roof indicating that it may have been built before 1840.  In the late Victorian Period the western half was demolished and cast iron columns, balustrading and valence were added.  A large two storeyed building was added onto the existing section with one portion for additional dwelling rooms on both levels and the remainder for shop space on the ground floor and dwelling above.

This restructuring was done in about 1880 to accommodate the expanding grocery and bakery business of William Moses.  The older section exhibits a high pitched roof for shingles, whilst the extension had a corrugated iron roof.

 The Moses family were in the bakery business from about 1821 to 1961.  It all started with Uriah Moses (1780-1847), who arrived on the Royal Admiral in 1800 with a life sentence.  Moses was a youth of seventeen when he was sentenced to death at the Old Bailey for stealing:

"7 silk handkerchiefs, 30 yards of lace, and 50 yards of calimanco"

Uriah Moses received a conditional pardon in 1821.  In the 1821-1823 period he supplied wheat to the Government Stores, but it is doubtful if he grew it himself, as he is variously shown as a storekeeper, baker and dealer, but never as a landowner"

'Hawkesbury Journey' and 'Macquarie Country' are published by the Library of Australian History, 17 Mitchell Street, North Sydney  NSW  2060.  Enquiries to the Hawkesbury Historical Society, Hawkesbury Museum, Thompson Square, Windsor  NSW  2756.

Roderick Storie Solicitors 290 Windsor Street, Richmond NSW 2753

ABN: 178 187 94865

Use of this site is subject to our Disclaimer

 

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation.